In recent days the IAEA has released a damning report accusing Iran of pursuing research with the goal of attaining nuclear weapons capability. Iran has responded by calling the report “biased” and that it serves the political ends of the United States. The Iranian parliament responded with a resolution demanding a reduction in cooperation with the IAEA.
For now, let us believe that the claims in the report are supported and verifiable. Indeed, part of the firestorm around this issue is that the IAEA is a generally trusted institution; their lack of support for the American position on Iraq’s weapons of mass destruction was a massive obstacle for the Bush Administration’s goal of garnering international support for the invasion of Iraq. But beyond the news that Iran may be working towards a weapon of mass destruction, there’s another important consequence.
In 2005, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei issued a fatwa, a binding religious ruling, forbidding the production and stockpiling of nuclear weaponry. As far as I know a Farsi text of the fatwa has never been released, though it has been reported on in Persian since 2004.
…The Leader of the Islamic [...]
About MeNews producer. Blogger on politics and culture of the Middle East, specializing in issues of public diplomacy.
- Report on Pennsylvania in the 2012 Presidential Elections
- Halal food culture in New York City
- Translation of Bashar al-Assad’s statement on Syrian Armed Forces Day
- Was Sergei Lavrov’s statement on the United States arming the FSA mistranslated?
- Thoughts on the Rutgers gay bullying case from an Indian-American
- The night we visited the Picture Show. Smashing! #greatgatsby #gildedage @hispeedtourist http://t.co/dQ4caCBM3u 2 days ago
- Want to see your Twitter/Facebook history as art? Check this app I wrote: http://t.co/cukB6aIuzQ #visualization http://t.co/vkSbhDDius 1 week ago
- My favorite book on @GooglePlay is My Name is Red https://t.co/uUTdlRqoku. #favoritethings 1 month ago
- #Morsi government removing mention of #feminist pioneers from #Egypt education cirriculum: http://t.co/vBRFEUcBMy 1 month ago
- #Tunisia media claims 13+ women have joined the "Marriage Jihad" in #Syria, "marrying" mujahideen in the #FSA http://t.co/08SQkwMWMG 1 month ago
Tagsabbas assad britain civil war democracy discrimination egypt elections eltahawy embassy equality falcons fatah fatwa fayyad feminism Fiqh gaza gender Hadith hamas haniyyeh IAEA Iran Islam Khamenei libya Music nuclear palestinian poll polls public opinion Quran revolution salafi salafism SCAF sham Singing syria tahrir weapon west bank women