The Arab Opinion Index 2011 from the Doha Institute, the first of its kind, provides incredibly useful data on the social outlook of Arabs across the Arab world. In a time in which the world is increasingly anxious about the rise of Islamists in Arab countries, it may be useful to keep some perspective on the support of secularism.
The poll asked many questions about the role of religion in society, allowing us to compare Arab responses with American responses. The results may be surprising:
Sources: Pew poll, March 2012. Q.58 In your opinion, should churches and other houses of worship [RANDOMIZE: keep out of political
matters; express their views on day-to-day social and political questions] – or should they
[INSERT OTHER OPTION]?
Doha Institute, Arab Opinion Index 2011. Q. 48. Respondents trends supporting or opposing the statement: “It is in the country’s best interest to separate religion from politics”
About MeNews producer. Blogger on politics and culture of the Middle East, specializing in issues of public diplomacy.
- Report on Pennsylvania in the 2012 Presidential Elections
- Halal food culture in New York City
- Translation of Bashar al-Assad’s statement on Syrian Armed Forces Day
- Was Sergei Lavrov’s statement on the United States arming the FSA mistranslated?
- Thoughts on the Rutgers gay bullying case from an Indian-American
- The night we visited the Picture Show. Smashing! #greatgatsby #gildedage @hispeedtourist http://t.co/dQ4caCBM3u 3 days ago
- Want to see your Twitter/Facebook history as art? Check this app I wrote: http://t.co/cukB6aIuzQ #visualization http://t.co/vkSbhDDius 1 week ago
- My favorite book on @GooglePlay is My Name is Red https://t.co/uUTdlRqoku. #favoritethings 1 month ago
- #Morsi government removing mention of #feminist pioneers from #Egypt education cirriculum: http://t.co/vBRFEUcBMy 1 month ago
- #Tunisia media claims 13+ women have joined the "Marriage Jihad" in #Syria, "marrying" mujahideen in the #FSA http://t.co/08SQkwMWMG 1 month ago
Tagsabbas assad britain civil war democracy discrimination egypt elections eltahawy embassy equality falcons fatah fatwa fayyad feminism Fiqh gaza gender Hadith hamas haniyyeh IAEA Iran Islam Khamenei libya Music nuclear palestinian poll polls public opinion Quran revolution salafi salafism SCAF sham Singing syria tahrir weapon west bank women